"I'm a spud"

I named this blog after my brother Ryan because he loves to be in the kitchen watching and helping me cook. The quote comes from when he was in high-school. I was helping him get ready for a school dance and he looked so handsome so I told him to go tell mom that he looked like a stud. Well, you can guess the rest...he went into the living room and proudly said, "Mom, I'm a spud!"
I LOVE to cook! I have compiled recipes for years. Some are passed down from family, others I have collected from friends, but most I have found, experimented with, and tweaked to make them gluten free or just the way I like it. Since I have been gluten free for 3 years now, the recipes on this blog will be gluten free but I'll also post the non-gluten free version of the ones that aren't naturally gluten free so you don't have to worry about buying the weird and expensive flours and other ingredients.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Thai Lettuce Wraps


Thai Satay Chicken
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons water
4 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces

Cut chicken small chunks and place in a dish or Ziploc bag for marinating.  Combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in small bowl. Add water to remaining mixture. Pour over chicken; toss to coat well. Marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.  Fry in 2 Tbl. Oil.

Bean Sprouts
1 ½ cups bean sprouts
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp la choy soy sauce
1 tsp roasted sesame seeds

Heat oil in frying pan or small pot. Add bean sprouts and remaining ingredients into pan. Cook till bean sprouts are tender.

Peanut Sauce
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp water
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp la choy soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp chili oil

ASSEMBLY
Remove the stem at the bottom of the head of lettuce and separate the leaves into "lettuce cup. Wash and dry leaves. Arrange lettuce on a large serving plate.  Place Satay Chicken and Bean Sprouts aside the lettuce leaves along with some shredded carrots.  Put Peanut Sauce in a small bowl along side the other toppings.  Assemble by putting each of the toppings into the lettuce leaves.  So yummy but a little messy.  Make sure you have plenty of napkins.

4 comments:

  1. I love Chicken Satay from Thai restaurants! This looks really yummy and not too difficult to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always check your soy sauce. Most brands have wheat. Looks like a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I put la choy on the peanut sauce and the bean sprouts but not on the chicken. La choy and western family soy sauces are gluten free.

    ReplyDelete