"I'm a spud"

I named this blog after my brother Ryan because he loves to be in the kitchen watching and helping me cook. The quote comes from when he was in high-school. I was helping him get ready for a school dance and he looked so handsome so I told him to go tell mom that he looked like a stud. Well, you can guess the rest...he went into the living room and proudly said, "Mom, I'm a spud!"
I LOVE to cook! I have compiled recipes for years. Some are passed down from family, others I have collected from friends, but most I have found, experimented with, and tweaked to make them gluten free or just the way I like it. Since I have been gluten free for 3 years now, the recipes on this blog will be gluten free but I'll also post the non-gluten free version of the ones that aren't naturally gluten free so you don't have to worry about buying the weird and expensive flours and other ingredients.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sweet Pork Salads or Tacos (Cafe Rio Style)


Sweet Rice:
1 Tbl. vegetable oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 1/3 c. white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/4 c. white sugar
Put oil in bottom of pan, saute onion and cilantro. Add rice, and saute. Combine chicken broth and sugar, letting sugar dissolve. Stir broth into rice, bring to boil, cover and cook on medium low until rice is done. About 30 minutes. Serves 6

Pulled Pork:
3 1/2 lb pork loin roast
2 Tbl. brown sugar
1 tsp. red cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin
1 can Dr. Pepper
1 c. chicken broth
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
Night before: Mix together brown sugar, cayenne, cumin, and salt. Rub on roast and put in crock pot on LOW all night.
Next morning: Take fat off roast. Add Coke or Dr. Pepper, chicken broth, garlic, and onions. Keep on LOW until ready to serve. About 1 hour before serving, shred roast and add 1 cup brown sugar. Serves 12

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing:
1 pkg. hidden valley ranch dressing
1 c. milk
1 c. mayonnaise
1 jalapeno
2 Green Tomatillos
Juice from 1 lime
1/4-1/2 bunch of cilantro
Throw everything into and blender and blend.

Serve with black beans, romaine lettuce, cheese, avocados, tomatoes, and crushed corn chips.  So Yummy!!!  You can also just put everything in corn shells and make tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment