"I'm a spud"

I named this blog after my brother Ryan because he loves to be in the kitchen watching and helping me cook. The quote comes from when he was in high-school. I was helping him get ready for a school dance and he looked so handsome so I told him to go tell mom that he looked like a stud. Well, you can guess the rest...he went into the living room and proudly said, "Mom, I'm a spud!"
I LOVE to cook! I have compiled recipes for years. Some are passed down from family, others I have collected from friends, but most I have found, experimented with, and tweaked to make them gluten free or just the way I like it. Since I have been gluten free for 3 years now, the recipes on this blog will be gluten free but I'll also post the non-gluten free version of the ones that aren't naturally gluten free so you don't have to worry about buying the weird and expensive flours and other ingredients.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Corn Dogs

I am not a huge fan of store bought corn dogs but I love a good corn dog from the state fair.  These corn dogs may look a little funky but these are the best recipes ever and taste very similar!  I just made the gluten free version the other day for some family in Montana who all don't eat gluten free and they loved them.  Even my cousin who said he hated hot dogs ate two.



Gluten Free Corn Dogs


2 pkg. hot dogs, heated in water                
2 cups Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix
1 cup yellow cornmeal                          
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs slightly beaten                            
                                                           2 cups warm water

In a 12-inch skillet heat approximately 2-inches of oil to 375°.  Mix dry ingredients together.
Lightly whisk eggs and water. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, whisking until smooth. Heavily coat  hot dogs in batter in place in hot oil for about 4 minutes until dark golden brown. Drain hot dogs on cooling rack and serve. 

                                            Corn Dogs

            2 eggs, beaten                                             3/4 tsp. salt
            1 1/2 - 2 c. milk                                          2 tsp. baking powder
            1 c. corn meal                                             2 c. flour
            1/4 c. sugar                                                 24 hot dogs

Mix ingredients.  Heat hot dogs in boiling water; dry.  dip in batter and fry in oil until coating is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment